The DEIB pursues ambitious research, educational and societal goals:
- to be at the cutting edge of research, generating innovative ideas, gaining international recognition, exploiting the synergy among researchers from different Information and Communication Technology (ICT) areas and from other disciplines, namely bioengineering and health science technologies;
- to contribute to the European Research Area through collaborations with world-class institutions; to become a key node in research networks of excellence and to participate to challenging international projects;
- to provide talented young professionals with a sound scientific background, a strong problem-solving mindset, and a truly multi-disciplinary vision of their work.;
- to strengthen collaborations with national and international industrial partners, to support technology transfer of research results and generate spin-off and start-up companies;
- to promote a more advanced and technology-based economic environment and, more generally, to pursue ICT applications aiming at the advancement of the society at large;
- to promote a multidisciplinary approach to methodological and technological problems in bioengineering and health science technologies and improve the impact of engineering approaches for a sustainable health-care.
To achieve DEIB mission a new approach to research is required, in continuity with the past but also pointing to new directions:
- maintain a focus on long-term, basic and visionary research. To achieve excellence, research has to be radical, exploring new directions, unconstrained by short-term goals, funded by agencies and initiatives such as ERC, FET, EU Flagships, or PRIN at national level;
- enhance the involvement in medium-to-short-term research focusing mainly on those projects that transfer cutting-edge research results to improve products and services;
- enhance the involvement in interdisciplinary research, opening to collaborations with other departments and institutions. Such trend is fully in line with the Horizon 2020 framework program of the European Community, and focuses on a variety of challenges, from supporting the ageing society, to improving transportation, to addressing the climate change to supporting energy-aware society, and to strengthening education, cultural heritage and entertainment;
- support and contribute to the innovation processes of industries, public administrations, and the society in general, by understanding needs and problems, analyzing and interpreting market opportunities and challenges, identifying technological trends and directions, providing expertise and methods to design and develop disruptive solutions. To address these complex issues, DEIB will also exploit the partnership with CEFRIEL and with the spinoffs and startups that have been created over the past years. In turn, the experience derived from innovation projects will be instrumental to continuously feed the stream of research problems addressed by DEIB;
- enhance interdisciplinary cooperation with the main biomedical institutions both internationally and in the local environment, to constitute a network of partners at the cutting edge in the world scenario.
The quality of research is also witnessed by the high number of DEIB members that participate in the scientific boards of prestigious international journals, conferences and research associations.
The Department is registered in QuESTIO
, the mapping system of research services, technology transfer and innovation support.